Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Karaoke Tunes - Someone to Watch Over Me

It gives me no small amount of sadness that two voices that I've known and appreciated for years have been stilled even though the women who utilized these instruments are still alive.

Both sang a wide variety of songs-- my next favorite karaoke tune is one they both have performed.

The song is "Someone to Watch Over Me" and the vocalists are Julie Andrews, who no longer sings as the result of a botched vocal cord surgery, and Linda Ronstadt who no longer sings as a result of Parkinson's Disease.

The first time I recall hearing "Someone to Watch Over Me" was in this scene from Woody Allen's "Manhattan":


https://youtu.be/AsbdW6ZTFBs

The beautiful imagery of this scene was perfectly underscored by an orchestral arrangement of George Gershwin's poignant melody which I instantly loved. 

I had no idea at the time that I would become as fond of Ira Gershwin's lyric.

Andrews's performance of STWOM is from her much-lambasted Gertrude Lawrence biopic "Star". 

I've seen the film (or some chopped up version of it)  on TV; generally,  I'd describe the film "huh" dragged out past the point of "meh".

Below is a link to a clip of her performance of STWOM. 

Honestly, while I recall Andrews-as-Lawrence's performance of Kurt Weill & Ira Gershwin's "The Saga of Jenny", I have no recollection of her rendition of STWOM, or even the scene's context in the film.

Ronstadt's version is from her first album of standards, conducted and arranged by Nelson Riddle.

Over their careers, the performances of both artists have demonstrated great technical skill but inconsistent emotional expression

For example, Andrews's "Feed the Birds" from "Mary Poppins" and Ronstadt's "Love Has No Pride", among other performance" genuinely move me.

Sadly, neither of these takes on STWOM feels right to me. 

I invite you however to give both performances a listen. Please share your opinions of either or both recordings. Maybe I'm
missing an epiphany....

Inconsequential and Possibly Gratuitous Personal Note: When I sing STWOM, I make one lyric change. The idea of referring to myself as a "lost lamb" feels  ridiculous, so this Aries pronounces himself a "lost ram".

Same species; approximately equivalent pathos.

--------------------------------------------------------
I don't own the rights to this song or these performances.


These links are offered to facilitate an appreciation of the song. named.

Someone to Watch Over Me - Julie Andrews
https://youtu.be/QKvnUGSNbys


Someone to Watch Over Me - Linda Ronstadt
https://youtu.be/_wzuAyAdecc



--------------------------------------------
Self Assessment
This post went in a much different direction than I first planned and  took far too long for me to  complete. 

I attribute this to my focusing  on preparing some dishes around the Thanksgiving holiday and my inability to focus on two endeavors simultaneously.

Nevertheless they're done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment