Saturday, October 20, 2018

Karaoke Tunes - You're Only Lonely

If “So I Heard” exists to present songs that I especially admire, I guess the best indication of my admiration of a song would be the fact that I attempt it or assail it when at Karaoke.

So that is the meaning of “Karaoke Tunes”.

I love both the lyric and the melody of J.D. Souther's “You're Only Lonely”.

If the KJ can modulate the key of a song, this song is absolutely one that I ask to be taken down at least three keys-- or else my rendition of it is far less than lovely.

This song should not be confused with Roy Orbison's “Only the Lonely” which is an anthem for every lonely soul.

While “You're Only Lonely” has a sound-alike title, the lyric is a heartwarming and tender address from one vulnerable person to another pledging understanding if contacted for the mere reason of loneliness.

The original performer, J.D. Souther, has a estimable body of work. Though possibly largely unknown to most pop and rock followers, he is by no means obscure.

Souther may be regarded as a one hit wonder. “You're Only Lonely’  is his only solo recording to chart in the Top 40, but he can be heard dueting with James Taylor on 1981’s “Her Town Too”. He also co-wrote an Eagles hit or two including "Best of My Love", "Heartache Tonight", and "New Kid in Town".

(An Indugence While on This Topic/Tangent: I must note that another karaoke fave of mine is “Best of My Love”.

Once, when I put in that song title for karaoke, when I got the mic I was surprised to discover that-- while the karaoke book listed the Eagles song-- the track that came on was the Maurice White-penned “Best of My Love” performed by the Emotions.

Unfazed, I performed the lyrics of the Eagles song--as I remembered them-- to the tune of the Emotions song.

The refrain of both is the same:“Oh-oh-oh-OH! You got/get the best of my love, etc.” The one difference; the Eagles say “Sweet darling”.)

J.D. Souther
You're Only Lonely
https://youtu.be/quglprlSQ8k

I don't own the rights to this song or performance.
The link is offered to facilitate an appreciation of the song named.

--------------------
Self Assessment
This post gestated a long while in concept so was relatively easy to write given my connection to the song. As with the previous written posts, I imaging some cleanup will be necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment